Tuesday 12 June 2018

Why Sport Performance?


Life was different when I was a child, and some things were better.  We climbed trees (a lot!) and ate the fruit we found.  We played ball games on the road.  We walked to and from school and played outside until (and often after) the sun went down, or until parents yelled for us to come inside for dinner.  On the weekends we explored further.  Parents fed and clothed us, and occasionally put plasters on grazes and cuts.  Beyond that, we rarely needed help arranging anything.  If we wanted to go somewhere: town, the beach, out into the country side etc. we biked.  All year we ran, jumped, climbed, threw, caught, kicked, and tagged, and tackled.  Barefoot and dirty.
By the end of my childhood my gross and fine motor control was excellent.  I was fast and fit and, while I had no more than average talent, I was better than average at everything I turned my hand to.  My athletic development pathway was my childhood.
Lots of us lived that life back then but few children get to do so today.  This is the reason for Sport Performance.  Our role is to strengthen bodies and ensure a broad range of basic motor skills.  To help children acquire a more complete ‘toolbox’ to take to training or with which to have new experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment