Thursday 22 March 2018

Medical mismanagement of chronic back pain

This is another topic we discussed recently.  The thrust of the piece below is that many back injuries are not advanced by inactivity but rather by exercise.  I can personally attest to the truth of this.  I sprained facet joints in my lower back a few weeks back and it was initially very painful and restricting.  I gritted my teeth and got on with things, including keeping my training up for a major event in two weeks on Sunday.  Fair to say I didn't have a fun time of it for the first two weeks, but the diagnosis allowed me to understand what would help and what wouldn't.   A 7-day course of diclofenac was very effective in reducing inflammation but no other medical interventions were needed.
I am not suggesting that this is the prescription in all cases.  Indeed, I have a client with a chronic disc complaint and exercise is not proving helpful.  For many common back issues, however, an understanding of the nature of the problem with activity to promote function is all that is needed, along side patience.

medical-mismanagement-of-chronic-back-pain-audio

No comments:

Post a Comment