Tuesday 28 August 2018

an extended discussion about ownership

I posted, recently, an idea that came from a conversation with one of my participants. She has been a good student but she became a great one when she decided she wanted more from her training - when her level of ownership increased.
This next thought is part2 of that discussion. There is a view among adults that the obvious connection between doing and outcomes renders the coach or sporting body responsible for those outcomes.
This idea implies that I have control of the student. Clearly, I am an influence but that's not the same as control. I don't make decisions for them. Indeed, the importance of ownership means I must avoid as far as practicable taking ownership and responsibility away from them. My job is to provide a learning framework and a safe environment that nourishes. Outcomes depend on levels of engagement and time, both of which are out of my control.
If you're struggling with levels of engagement in a young person, you could consider reducing efforts to control and giving them more responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment